Saturday, May 1, 2010

Elan afterlife begins today...

I had all morning for myself, so I decided to clean some room in the garage: get the Elan apart.
All the fasteners were rusted, so good spray of WD-40 on every bolt and nut was my first step. Handlebar and steering assembly rushed to their temporary destination in the plastic bin first. Engine assembly, gear case, secondary clutch, boggies and other bits followed...
Couldn't dissasemble the tensioners for the track, so had to cut one of them.
It took two and half hours to tear it down...

So, here is the Elan


Power plant is waiting...


Chassis is badly corroded


I got two different types of skis. Which one is correct to the year? Need to figure it out


I have a choise now: I can repair the chassis and weld some patches (lots of pathces), or I can buy another one for $40... Leaning toward buying...


Here is the tensioner I had to cut


Previous owner fixed dents on the chassis with autobody filler... Tons of it!!!



Now I need to figure out when I can get the "new" chassis and maybe another pair of skis... Sometime next week... Lots of work ahead!

0 comments:

Post a Comment